Windows 8.1 is the successor of Windows 8. This upgrade was done to rectify certain problems with the ‘Windows 8’ like the most important ‘no inclusion of the ‘Start’ menu and sluggish performance.
Now, in order to use the new Windows 8.1 operating system, you need to have some knowledge on how to download, install and activate this system software. Thus, here you will get information on the Windows 8.1 product key and various other points related to this system software.
1: About the product key of Windows 8.1
The Windows 8.1 product key is a series of twenty-five digit alphanumeric code, which is used to activate and validate the license of the operating system. The license code looks like the following – ‘@@@@@-@@@@@-@@@@@-@@@@@-@@@@@’.This activation unlocks Windows 8.1 operating system so that you can use its every feature without any issue.
2: Features of Windows 8.1 Operating System
Here, you will get descriptions of the important features that Windows 8.1 consists of.
Return of the ‘Start’ Button
When Windows 8 OS was launched, it did not include the ‘Start’ menu. Thus, there was a severe problem in terms of navigation. However, with the launch of Windows 8.1, the developers have included the ‘Start’ button.
When you click on that button, next, a ‘Start’ screen appears. But, once you right-click on the ‘Start’ button, next, a popup menu will appear. From that menu, you can get access to the system applications like ‘Task Manager’, ‘Control Panel’ and the ‘Power Options’.
Lock and Start Screen Options
You can now add more pictures from the cloud or the local storage on the lock screen, which extends the already existing picture password feature. There is also an option for you to take a picture via the device’s camera and receive a Skype call while the machine is locked.
There are many options available for the ‘Start’ screen also which are more background colors and tile sizes to choose from.
Directly Boot to Desktop
With the feature ‘Boot to desktop’, you can avoid the ‘Start’ screen and go directly to the desktop when signing into the machine. Here, are the steps on how to enable the ‘boot to desktop’ feature.
- First, on the ‘Start’ screen locate and click on the ‘Desktop’ tile.
- After that, navigate to the taskbar and right-click on the blank area to reveal a popup menu.
- From that menu, find and choose the ‘Properties’ option. As soon as you do that, then a new dialog box will appear with the title ‘Taskbar and Navigation Properties’.
- Inside that dialog box, locate and tap on the ‘Navigation’ tab. Under that tab, go to the ‘Start section’ and then put a checkmark on the ‘Go to the desktop instead of Start when I sign in’.
- Finally, tap on the ‘Apply’ and ‘OK’ buttons respectively.
Xbox Music Update
In Windows 8 OS there was an addition of the Xbox Music application. This program allows the users to stream many songs, without spending a dime. Now, the main problem with this application was that it is very complicated to use on a regular basis. However, all the usage problems of the Xbox Music were resolved with the integration of the new user interface. Along with that, you can also create your own playlists within this music application.
Better performance of the Snap View Feature
The ‘Snap View’ is a feature that helps to do multitasking on your computer. This feature was launched with Windows 8. This feature basically splits the screen, in order to provide you with the multitasking capabilities.
However, the main problem with this feature on Windows 8 was that it does not split the screen into equal halves, but only 70/30. Due to this reason, you can able to work with one application that is in the 70, but unable to with the other part.
The problems that were present with the ‘Snap View’ feature on Windows 8 are completely removed from the successor. Now, in Windows 8.1, you can split the screen in different ways like ‘50/50’, ‘60/40’ and 70/30’.
Steps on how to open multiple applications with the help of the ‘Snap View’ feature in Windows 8.1.
- First, launch any two applications with which you want to perform multitask. Be sure that one application is in full screen.
- Now, take an application and drag it to the left side until the program docks there. This application takes up half of the screen
- Once you have done that, next, automatically the second application will take-up the other half.
- If you want to change the split ratio of the applications, then select a black vertical line between the two programs.
- Next, drag that line to either left or right and set it according to your preference.
Increase in the functionality of Search
The search functionality within Windows 8 was only limited to applications. But this problem has been rectified with the launch of the Windows 8.1 operating system. The default search within Windows 8.1 now can show applications, files, and even the settings which benefit the computer users hugely.
Integration of SkyDrive
SkyDrive is the cloud storage service that Microsoft provides. This service has been re-branded from SkyDrive to OneDrive. One of the best features that came with the launch of Windows 8.1 OS is the integration of SkyDrive service.
When you sign in to your SkyDrive account, next, a separate folder for the cloud storage service is created within the ‘Windows Explorer’. You can access and backup all your flies very easily due to this integration.
New Windows Store
The Windows Store’s user interface has been made clutter-free by making the application thumbnails bigger. Now, all the applications that you install within the system are updated automatically without your involvement.
Stream using Miracast
Miracast is a technology that allows you to mirror any content wirelessly from one device to the other. Thus, you can watch what is playing on one device onto another device. This technology is supported by the Windows 8.1 operating system.
Support for 3D Printing
Windows 8.1 has support for 3D printing. Therefore, now you can directly print something using 3D printers. This addition of this capability was possible due to the addition of the 3D printing API.
3: Hardware Requirements to support Windows 8.1 OS
The information on the hardware configuration needed to run the “Windows 8.1 pro activation key” will be presented here. Thus follow the steps underneath.
- Central Processing Unit- 1 GHz (gigahertz) or faster.
- Space for hard disk- 16 GB for 32-bit or 20 GB for 64-bit.
- Size of the Memory – 2GB (64-bit) or 1GB (16-bit).
- Video/Graphics Card- DirectX 9 graphics device along with WDDM driver.
4: Download process of the Windows 8.1 ISO File
You will get the download process for the Windows 8.1 ISO file here. In order to know the download procedure follow the steps below.
- First, open a browser on your computer and then visit the official website of Microsoft.
- Next, go to the top-right edge of the window and then tap on the ‘magnifying glass’ icon to open the search area.
- Within that area, write the following text “download windows 8.1” and then press the ‘Enter’ key. Now, from the search results page locate the ‘Download Windows 8.1 Disc Image (ISO File)’ option and tap on it.
- Now, a new page will appear, in it, scroll down to the section ‘Select Edition’, then from the drop-down menu choose the ‘Windows 8.1’ option and hit the ‘Confirm’ button.
- After that, a ‘Select the product language’ section will appear, in it, choose your preferred language from the dropdown list and click ‘Confirm’.
- Next, a ‘Downloads’ section will appear. Under that section, you will get a ‘Windows 8.1 English’ subsection, in it, there will be two links. Among those two links choose the one according to your system architecture.
- As soon as you click on that link, then automatically the download process of the ‘Windows 8.1’ ISO file will begin.
- Once the download process of the Windows 8.1 ISO file is complete, next, write the image file onto a USB flash drive. Make sure that the storage capacity is at least 8GB.
5: Windows 8.1 Product Keys
You will get the information in regards to the “Windows 8.1 product key generator” here. For that, follow the keys below.
6: Installation procedure of Windows 8.1
Here, you will get the installation of the “Windows 8.1 pro-64-bit product key free download”.
- First, start your computer normally. Once the desktop comes up, next, insert the Windows installation USB flash drive or DVD and switch off the machine.
- Now, with the installation media present within the computer restart it. Next, the computer will boot from the Windows 8.1 installation media.
- Once you get the following message “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD…”, next, hit a key to continue with the setup process.
- When you click any key, next a ‘Windows Setup’ window will come up. Inside that window, choose the language you prefer, the format of the time and currency, method of input. Then, click on the ‘Next’ button.
- As soon as you do that, then a new page will appear. Within that page, click on the ‘Install Now’ button present in the middle.
- Once you click on that button, next a new page will appear, that asks to provide the product key. Go to the fifth method and then, take a note of all the “free Windows 8.1 pro key”
- From the note, write down the first product key on the text box and hit the ‘Next’ button. This action will open a new page with a heading ‘License terms’.
- Inside that page, go to the bottom, then put a checkmark on the ‘I accept the license terms’ option and tap on ‘Next’. Now you will get a new page with two links.
- Out of those two links choose the one that says ‘Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)’
Additional Method of Windows 8.1
Get the additional steps here for the installation process of Windows 8.1.
- Now, you will get a new page with a list of partitions.
- From that list choose a partition and then tap on the ‘Delete’ link.
- Repeat the previous step for the remaining hard disk partition. As soon as you do that then a confirmation message will come up.
- In it, click on the ‘OK’ button. At this time you will get the full unallocated space of the hard drive.
- Next, below the list, select the ‘Drive options (advanced)’ link. You need to select this option to create hard disk partitions.
- After that, click on the ‘New’ link to create a new partition of the hard drive.
- At this time, Windows will create a separate partition to store the system files. If you get a confirmation window, then tap on the ‘OK’ button.
- To create partitions for the remaining unallocated space repeat the fifth step.
- Once the hard disk partition procedure is over, next, choose a new partition and click the ‘Format’ link.
- Repeat the previous step to format all the remaining partitions. Do not format the system reserved partition.
- Now, choose a partition where you want to install Windows and then tap on the ‘Next’ button. As soon as you do that, then Windows 8.1 installation will begin. During the installation process, several reboots will happen.
- When you get a window having the title “Personalize”, next, follow the instructions to customize the appearance of Windows according to your preference.
- Finally, once the customization process is over, next, the installation process of Windows 8.1 is complete.
I hope that the methods presented above will help you to get information in regards to “Windows 8.1 pro-64-bit product key free download”.